Chocolate Friands when you want something a little special for afternoon tea
Prep/Cooking time – 50 minutes
Serves – 12
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 ½ cup pure icing sugar
- ½ cup plain flour from a commercial mix see notes (gluten free)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 100g Sweet William Original or Choc Chips
- 5 egg whites
- 180g margarine (lactose free)
- Sift combined icing sugar, flour and cocoa into a large bowl.
- Add almond meal, grated chocolate and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Melt margarine in the microwave for abut 1 minute.
- Add to dry ingredients and mix to combine.
- Gently fold in egg whites.
- Spoon mixture into lightly-greased or sprayed friend moulds until ¼ full.
- Bake in a hot oven 200ºC for 15-20 minutes or until firm and cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Cool for 5 minutes in pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.
- To serve dust with icing sugar or serve with strawberries and cream.
For this recipe the following mixture of flours were used cornflour (maize starch, rice flour, soy flour, tapioca starch) This is an excellent recipe for using up frozen egg whites If not lactose intolerant then normal butter or margarine can be used.
Pure icing sugar does not contain gluten – whereas icing sugar mixtures can.